Saturday, June 25, 2011

I Love Sunday: 1: Saturday Evening

Sunday is always special, a day where we give more time to God, Who has given all time to us. So how do I celebrate Sunday? (Remember, I am not often able to get to Mass.)
First of all, I prepare on Saturday by making my house especially clean, and doing a laundry. The books that are on the two end-tables next to the TV are removed, and freshly-laundered tablecloths
are placed there instead. Oh, how I love the smell of freshly-laundered tablecloths!
My Sunday observance begins on Saturday evening, right before Evening Prayer 1. I change into a skirt and a nice top, put on my prayer veil (white for Sunday), light a candle (electric, for safety reasons) and pray, "Blessed are You, Lord Our God, King of the universe, Who has commanded us to keep holy the Sabbath day." (This is adapted from the Jewish way of ushering in the Sabbath; however, Jewish Sabbath candles burn down in a few hours; my candle stays lit.)
Then comes Evening Prayer.
I usually watch Mother Angelica Live Classics on EWTN at 7:00 PM, followed by EWTN Cinema at 8:00.
While watching the movie, I eat a leisurely supper in front of the TV.
I even dress for bed differently; six nights a week I wear pajamas, but on Saturday night,
I put on a nightgown instead.
Little things make such a difference.

1 comment:

Barb Schoeneberger said...

I'm sure God is very pleased with your Sunday preparations even if you can't get to Mass very often. You are really keeping holy the Lord's day and I love that take-off of the Jewish prayer. We can never bless God enough.

Encouraging news about EWTN's Fr. Anthony

Fr. Anthony hopes to be back on the air in the near future.  Oh, HOW I'm praying for that to happen! https://franciscanmissionaries.c...