Saturday, December 4, 2010

Amusement Park

I grew up within walking distance of Coney Island, but even closer to my apartment building, just down the block and across the street, was a small, but to a child, wonderful, amusement park.
I can't count the times my grandpa and I would walk down
there.
The place was understaffed, with the workers going from ride
to ride. I can't remember a time when all of the rides were
running at once.  I remember waiting by, for example, the tilt-a-whirl (my all-time

favorite ride)... and waiting and waiting and waiting
There was one particular ride which I'd never been on, and really

wanted to try . It's funny, considering how I longed to ride that
ride, that I have forgotten which one it was.
I was sooooo disappointed when the operator told me that I was too young.
"You have to be in school to go on this ride."
I answered that I was in school, and the man scolded me for lying.
"But I am in school! I'm in NURSERY school!"
Grandpa told him off for calling me a liar, and then we walked  over to another ride.
As much as I loved going with my Grandpa, however, I longed for the time when
I would be old enough to go by myself. Like so many other little girls,
I wanted, oh HOW I wanted, to be thought of as a BIG girl.
But by the time I was old enough, the rides were gone.
"They paved paradise, and put up a parking lot."


1 comment:

Barb Schoeneberger said...

It's hard to see the things that delighted us as youngsters disappear, isn't it? Thank God He doesn't disappear!

Encouraging news about EWTN's Fr. Anthony

Fr. Anthony hopes to be back on the air in the near future.  Oh, HOW I'm praying for that to happen! https://franciscanmissionaries.c...