Friday, August 4, 2017

Is There REALLY More Bullying These Days?

There are people who claim that there is more bullying going on these days than ever before, but is that really true?
Granted, there was a time when we didn't have cyber-bullying,
but that was when we also didn't have an internet.
I don't think it's so much that there is more bullying than there
used to be.  Yes, I've seen too many people going online to gang up on one person, but is that so different from the way
some kids have ganged up on just one kid for years?  The way 
I see it, the only difference is that online bullies don't see, and
often don't even know, the person they're attacking.
Another reason people are saying that there is more bullying is
that they now understand that name-calling is also a form of bullying.  I remember when children who were teased, made fun of, called names, were all too often shamed by adults, for example, teachers, if they cried or complained.
"Don't be such a crybaby."
"You should learn to take a little teasing."
Boy, do I remember being told that!  But a more vivid memory is that of a teacher putting her hands on her hips and singing to me, or rather at me, "Sticks and stones will break my bones, but names will never hurt me."
Unfortunately, there will always be bullying in some form or another, as long as there is somebody who is vulnerable, somebody who is an easy target.
"Sticks and stones will break my bones, but names will never hurt me."
COW FLOPS!!!!





No comments:

Encouraging news about EWTN's Fr. Anthony

Fr. Anthony hopes to be back on the air in the near future.  Oh, HOW I'm praying for that to happen! https://franciscanmissionaries.c...