Saturday, March 15, 2014

Ethnically Exclusive Clubs

I remember the time one of my high school teachers asked what we thought about ethnically exclusive clubs.


Up went my hand.
"Yes, Rochelle?" 
"It depends," I said.  "If everyone in the club has the same ethnic background, for example, if all of them are of Italian descent, then that is a group of people getting together to celebrate a common heritage.  And that is something very good. But if it is, let's say, a "whites only" or "no Jews allowed" or "no Italians allowed", like some Country Clubs, then it's wrong, and, I think, immature. Clubs like that make me think of a bunch of little kids saying (I sing-songed the next part)
"Nyah nyah nyah nyah nyah!  We've got a club and you can't be in it."

No comments:

Encouraging news about EWTN's Fr. Anthony

Fr. Anthony hopes to be back on the air in the near future.  Oh, HOW I'm praying for that to happen! https://franciscanmissionaries.c...