Friday, November 4, 2011

Delicious Dilemma

Sometimes, when I finish a book, I am faced with the delicious dilemma of what to read next. Shall it be a book written for children? Teens? Adults?
Do I want to read, for perhaps the dozenth-or more time, a familiar favorite,
or do I want to read something new, at least, new to me?
Do I want to read the next book in a series I'm following, start on yet another
series, or read a stand-alone book?
Do I want to read Christian fiction? Judaica? A secular story? Perhaps a biography or an autobiography?
Am I in the mood for a mystery? (I actually re-read mysteries, if the surrounding details are interesting and entertaining.
Perhaps something historical? Maybe a humorous book? A family story?
I could go on listing genres, and sometimes the genres can overlap.
Many historical novels are also family stories; Carol Ryrie Brink's "Caddie
Woodlawn" and Laura Ingalls Wilder's "Little House" books come to mind.
Ray Bradbury's "Dandelion Wine" is science fiction, but it is also a family
story, as are Madeleine L'Engle's books about the Murrys.
Then again, I might decide to read a play. Shakespeare, perhaps? Something
more contemporary? Comedy? Tragedy?
And in which format shall I read the book? Physical book? E-Book?
Decisions, decisions.
Of course, there is one day each year when I know what I do not have to decide what to read. On December 24th, I always read "A Christmas Carol", by Charles Dickens.

No comments:

Encouraging news about EWTN's Fr. Anthony

Fr. Anthony hopes to be back on the air in the near future.  Oh, HOW I'm praying for that to happen! https://franciscanmissionaries.c...