Thursday, October 20, 2011

Mixed Feelings

I have mixed feelings about one of the books I am currently reading.
In "the teen-ager's guide to collecting practically anything" (title is in lower-case)
Norah Smaridge and Hilda Hunter write: "The whole point of making a collection is to end up with something of interest to others."
And here I thought that the point, if any, to a collection is to collect something I, myself, am interested in. I thought that collecting was a hobby, something done for one's own amusement and enjoyment at one's leisure.
This book, however, seems, so far, to be aimed at teen-agers who want to collect for profit.
On the plus side, there are some fascinating anecdotes, and the authors do mention some interesting things to collect. I enjoy reading about collecting just about as much as I enjoy
working on my own collection.
Would I have enjoyed this book when I was a teen-ager? As the saying goes, the jury
is out on that one.

1 comment:

RAnn said...

I don't know if I would have enjoyed it as a teen our not; but I agree with you that collecting something to make a collection that is valuable to someone else is missing half the fun. It is also likely to get you a bunch of beanie babies that still have the tag on, even after they are nothing but cheap stuffed animals (and you don't play with stuffed animals any more), or Barbies that are still in the box, long after Barbies aren't fun anymore.

Encouraging news about EWTN's Fr. Anthony

Fr. Anthony hopes to be back on the air in the near future.  Oh, HOW I'm praying for that to happen! https://franciscanmissionaries.c...