Saturday, October 22, 2011

Blessed John Paul II and the Luminous Mysteries


In honor of the feast of Blessed John Paul II, and the month of the Holy Rosary, I am presenting this post, adapted and modified from a longer post in one of my old blogs.

When Blessed John Paul the Great added the Luminous Mysteries to the Rosary in 2002, I was delighted, absolutely delighted. I had felt for a long time that there was too great a gap between the Fifth Joyful Mystery and the First Sorrowful Mystery. A BIG chunk of Our Lord's life on Earth was missing from our Rosary meditations.
Of course, many choose not to pray the Luminous Mysteries, preferring to stick to the traditional form, and that is their right. I, personally, believe that there will be a time when people will be surprised to learn that the Luminous Mysteries weren't always a part of the Rosary; they fit in so perfectly!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm not surprised that some people are refraining, but I've incorporated them...although I always gnash my teeth at the way they were incorporated. There was such a beautiful instinctiveness to the division of the mysteries through the week before...Glorious on Sunday, then Joyful, Sorrowful, Glorious in two complete cycles through the rest of the week. And now we do three glorious, two sorrowful, but only once through the joyful & luminous mysteries. I don't like that. I really don't.

RAnn said...

Kathleen, there is no law saying that in your private prayer you can't change the order.

Rochelle said...

I always pray the Mysteries of the Rosary in sequence: Joyful, Luminous, Sorrowful, Glorious. But then, I pray at least one full Rosary every day, two or three decades at a time.

Encouraging news about EWTN's Fr. Anthony

Fr. Anthony hopes to be back on the air in the near future.  Oh, HOW I'm praying for that to happen! https://franciscanmissionaries.c...