Saturday, March 19, 2011

Books Read in the Past Week

"Franny and Zooey"
by J.D. Salinger
(fiction)
{Originally published as two separate stories in The New Yorker in January, 1955 and May, 1957}
[I have mixed feelings about this book.
I could do without the profanity, for one thing.
I love J.D. Salinger in some ways, but in other ways he drives me crazy. And I want to learn more about some of
the things that drive me crazy about Salinger.]

"Worst Room in The School"
by Lois Baker Muehl
(children's fiction)

"Donna Parker at Cherrydale"
"Donna Parker, Special Agent"
"Donna Parker On Her Own"
by Marcia Martin
(children's/young teen fiction)
[I loved these books when I was in
my early teens. Not exactly classics,
but still enjoyable.]

2 comments:

RAnn said...

I've never read any Salinger--does he get beyond angstsy coming of age novels?

Rochelle said...

RAnn,
"Catcher in The Rye" was his only real novel. His other works are short stories (some not so short!) reprinted from The New Yorker.
I'm working on at least two posts about Salinger, and how one book leads to another, and another.

Encouraging news about EWTN's Fr. Anthony

Fr. Anthony hopes to be back on the air in the near future.  Oh, HOW I'm praying for that to happen! https://franciscanmissionaries.c...