Wednesday, January 5, 2011

My First Prayer as a Catholic

Today is the 37th anniversary of my baptism into the Catholic Church. I was 20 years old at the time.
I knew that my first prayer as a Catholic would be an interior one, and I hoped that it would be something beautiful, something profound, something almost, note that I say almost, good enough for this wonderful event.
That, however, is not what happened. My first prayer as
a Catholic was neither beautiful nor profound.
My sponsor was a young woman, just a few years older than me, who lived in the same building. Because she was a bit nervous, she chomped on bubble gum during the rites. I don't think Fr. Conroy was impressed.
And so, this is what I prayed inwardly as the water was poured over my head:
"Please, Lord, don't let her pop a bubble!"

3 comments:

Joann said...

I'm picturing it in my mind. I think you exercised the Capital Virtue of Prudence as your first act as a Catholic. Good job!

Moonshadow said...

No concern is too small for prayer. Happy anniversary. As a cradle, I have only five years on you. :-)

Barb Schoeneberger said...

Your prayer was an act of charity - very auspicious for entering the Faith. God bless you.

Encouraging news about EWTN's Fr. Anthony

Fr. Anthony hopes to be back on the air in the near future.  Oh, HOW I'm praying for that to happen! https://franciscanmissionaries.c...