Saturday, September 16, 2017

My Early Writings

Sometimes I wish that I still had copies of my very early writings, especially the stories and poems I wrote before I was a teenager.

I wrote the first one when I was in third grade.  It was the weekend, the library was closed, and I had finished my books.  I wrote a story so I'd have something to read!

This is what I remember about that story, which was an adventure, written in the first person, in which I starred.
I went exploring and, among other things, picked berries in the falling snow.  After I had walked for awhile, I came to a cave filled with jewels... and some thieves!
I captured the thieves and ended up with a great reward, PLUS the jewels.  Then I went home.
The story ended with me asking my mother the next week, "Can I go exploring?"

 In retrospect, I wonder how much that story was influenced by the stories Little Lulu told to Alvin in the comic books. 

I remember, just barely, a humorous poem I wrote in the sixth grade.  It was about someone who robbed a supermarket, and was chased and caught.  The last line, spoken to the thief, was, "You forgot your trading stamps."
(Mom and I collected Plaid Stamps; I've forgotten what prize or prizes we got.)

And then there were the stories and poems I wrote in my early and middle teens.  At least one was written as an English-class assignment;  I later re-wrote it as a fanfic.

Someday, maybe I'll remember enough about at least SOME of my old stories to be able to rewrite them.  Perhaps not for publication though; perhaps just for myself.

No comments:

Encouraging news about EWTN's Fr. Anthony

Fr. Anthony hopes to be back on the air in the near future.  Oh, HOW I'm praying for that to happen! https://franciscanmissionaries.c...