Friday, July 3, 2015

Another Post About Hats

I recently blogged about a hat I used to have, and one I'd just ordered.  Well, the new hat came a month later, from Malaysia.
I had no idea that it was going to come from there.
The hat arrived, not in a box, but in what looked like a trash bag.   In fact, I thought at first that it was a trash bag that had blown onto my porch.
As for the hat itself, it was wrinkled and creased.  I did manage to smooth out the wrinkles and creases, but it took awhile.  
Once the wrinkles and creases were gone, or, rather, ALMOST
gone, I put the applique sunflower I had in reserve on the front.
It turned out that one wasn't enough, so I ordered two more.
Now, was the hat shapeable?  Yes, but not very!  It didn't retain
the shapes I put it in for very long, and it soon began to look like a very old, battered hat.  Thank God it didn't cost too much!
I put the hat on a shelf with several other old hats.  And then I took down one I didn't remember having bought.  It's a straw bonnet, light tan or beige, rim longer in front, with red trim all
around the edges, and two holes on the sides where there used to be strings.  I think this hat originally belonged to Mom!
I transferred the sunflower to the front of this hat (on the crown), and added the two new ones when they arrived.
I wanted to do something about the holes, so I ordered these
cherries.

They were described as adhesive, but the adhesive part only covered a small portion, and was adhesive for about one minute!  And the leaves came off as well!
So what did I do?  I attached a single cherry to two cherries (it took a bit of twisting!), and then I pushed the stem part through the hole, so that the cherries and part of the stem were on the outside.  It looked good, so I did the same with another set of two cherries and one single cherry.
So now I have a nice, cheerful-looking hat.
The cherries will be on it permanently, but I still plan to change the trimmings on the front every few months.
I'm really happy with my newly-trimmed hat.. and yet, I must admit that I still miss the shapeable hat that was lost when I moved.

1 comment:

Rochelle said...

Update: The single cherries did not stay attached to the double cherries, so now
it has just the doubles. Also, I removed one of the sunflowers, so now my hat
has only two.. and it looks much better.

Encouraging news about EWTN's Fr. Anthony

Fr. Anthony hopes to be back on the air in the near future.  Oh, HOW I'm praying for that to happen! https://franciscanmissionaries.c...