Saturday, December 27, 2014

Books Read In The Past Week

Books read for the first time are marked with  a #

Books, (except Sunday books) are grouped by author, and not necessarily in the order read.


Sunday books
"Ethelred Preston or The Adventures of a Newcomer"
"Lucky Bob" #
"His Luckiest Year" #
by Fr. Francis J. Finn, S.J.
[children's fiction, Catholic]
(free online books)
"The Instructed Heart:
soundings at four depths"
by F.J. Sheed
[non-fiction, memoir]

Weekday Books

"The Yada Yada Prayer Group Gets Down"
{carried over from last week}
"The Yada Yada Prayer Group Gets Real"
by Neta Jackson
[Christian fiction, (Protestant, multi-denominational and non-denominational)]
I have to admit that I have mixed feelings about the books. (Mostly, I love them.)
The author, Neta Jackson, is a Protestant, and I don't agree with everything she writes.
However, I love the way the women support each other with their prayers.
I like that the author uses several translations of the Bible.
I love the way Avis praises God BEFORE He answers a prayer.
I DEFINITELY like the way the Yada Yadas visit each others' churches, and
I wish someone would do a Catholic series along those lines, with Catholics
of different rites attending each others' liturgies.

"The Twenty-Four Days Before Christmas" #
by Madeleine L'Engle
[children's fiction, prequel to "Meet the Austins."]
(openlibrary.org loan)

"A Christmas Carol"
by Charles Dickens
[fiction]

my annual December 24th reading

"Once Upon a Christmas Time"
by Thyra Ferre Bjorn
[memoir, childhood, Christmas, Sweden]


"Opal" #
by Opal Whiteley
[child's journal]

"Thank You, Amelia Bedelia"
by Peggy Parrish
[picture book]
(openlibrary.org loan)

"Little Pear"
"Little Pear And His Friends"
{carrying over into next week}
by Eleanor Frances Lattimore
[children's fiction]
(openlibrary.org loans)

A Book for Weekdays AND Sundays
"Treatise on Divine Love" #
by St. Francis de Sales
[Kindle book]

1 comment:

RAnn said...

I have mixed feelings about the Yada Yadas too, but have decided that I've read enough of their books. Amelia Bedelia is a jewel though.

Encouraging news about EWTN's Fr. Anthony

Fr. Anthony hopes to be back on the air in the near future.  Oh, HOW I'm praying for that to happen! https://franciscanmissionaries.c...